Ethics has long been viewed as not black and white, but rather varied shades of gray. However, these interesting times mandate a novel stance. Ethics now comprise a spectrum of vivid colors that reflect its fierce disruptions to practice, and for every member of the health and behavioral health workforce. Managing this intense reality is a constant struggle for all practitioners, especially those in case management. My latest book and Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in Medical Ethics offers clear guidance; enter The Ethical Case Manager: Tools and Tactics
Case management’s workforce faces many accountability challenges not experienced by other professions. First, case management is an umbrella profession comprised of varied disciplines (e.g., counseling, nursing, occupational therapy, and social work). Each discipline has a distinct code of ethics or professional conduct, as well as dedicated standards of practice. Let’s add another layer of complexity that includes the over 25 case management-related credentials for individuals (e.g., ACM, CCM, CDMS, CMGT-BCTM, CRC), those for organizations (e.g., NCQA, URAC)and their unique requirements. Of course, there are also a lion’s share of professional associations across the industry. The landscape gets even more precarious when including the hierarchy of case management roles that span community health workers, case management assistants, and community based case managers, to board-certified case managers, and those in leadership positions.
The question beckons: Where should your ethical compass point? The range of established resources of guidance defined by each of the above entities makes the answer to this question challenging to answer. It also yields two confusing conundrums for the workforce:
- Defining the ethical and legal parameters for case management practice, and
- Reconciling these parameters with employer policies and procedures across the industry.
Here’s where, The Ethical Case Manager: Tools and Tactics comes to the rescue. The book’s content is written for an interprofessional audience that spans the educational spectrum of degrees held by those in the field. This approach provides a context for accountability, while addressing the most complex ethical dilemmas to date. Attention is paid to workplace bullying, digital healthcare innovation, management of implicit biases, microaggressions, health equity and inclusion, plus interstate practice, and other population health situations. The pandemic’s wrath is woven within chapters where relevant. Didactic knowledge is blended with Federal and state regulations, innovative models, practice templates, and dedicated resources.
Each of the book’s 10 chapters includes real-life case scenarios and contemplation questions that allow learners to dig in and apply the content. 20 Ethical Tactics provide tangible touchpoints for learning. Every reader will reap their own reward, from students, to new or more seasoned case managers, consultants, as well as those in leadership roles.
The Ethical Case Manager’s 318 pages encompass the most vital areas for case managers:
- Section 1: Essentials of Ethics
- Chapter 1: Terms and Definitions
- Chapter 2: Established Resources of Guidance
- Chapter 3: The Value Proposition for Ethical Case Management
- Section 2: Realities of practice
- Chapter 4: Population-based Practice
- Chapter 5: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (co-authored with Michael Garrett)
- Chapter 6: Workplace Bullying
- Chapter 7: Health Information Technology
- Chapter 8: Interstate Practice
- Section 3: Activation of Ethical Decision-making
- Chapter 9: Enduring Models
- Chapter 10: Case Scenarios and Direct Application
The Ethical Case Manager: Tools & Tactics will be your primary resource, whether you seek to:
- Educate students
- Onboard new staff
- Benchmark ethical practice
- Resolve ethical dilemmas
- Guide compliance practices
- Ensure successful fiscal, clinical, and operational outcomes
- Employ ethical decision-making models
- Leverage interprofessional teams
- Inform individual practices
The Ethical Case Manager: Tools and Tactics is only available on Amazon and for a special introductory price of $43.18. Pricing increase to $69.99 on 5/31/23.
Attending the upcoming Case Management Society of America Conference in Las Vegas? You will have access to 2 exciting book signing events:
- 6/27/23-Pre-Con, Telehealth 2024: Advancing Case Management’s Practice Proficiency, 2:15-3:15 PM
- 6/29/23-Exhibit Hall book signing at the Case Management Institute table, 11 AM to 2:30 PM. Discounted rates, bulk orders, and bundled specials will be available!